Changing gear

Last weeks scheduled blog post failed to appear, no real reason other than I was busy with work and busy editing my latest YouTube video and something had to give, so apologies for those waiting for that post.

This week I’ve been busy travelling for work and a host of family commitments also needed to be done, so I’ve had only a short amount of time on projects and to be outside. That’s all due to change next week though as next weekend sees the second of my ‘wayer’ courses with a one day course on spring foraging. Having a bit more of a base camp than I’m used to means that there is an opportunity to mix things up a little, so I’ve been making a few changes to my kit and trying to decide what to take along. I’m torn between taking a tent this time and using my hammock like last time, I’ll probably play it a bit by ear and see what the weather promises, but I have a smaller tipi tent I fancy giving a go as well so I might do that. The big communal space means that really the only purpose of a sleeping system is for sleep rather than any other shelter needs, so no real need for a lot of space; decisions, decisions….


Snugpak Response Pak - click image to buy one

One area that I have been giving a lot of thought too is my first aid kit, I normally carry very little on my person and my first aid kit is in my bag. I don’t typically wander far from my kit, so it’s often close at hand. One valuable learning so far is to carry the first aid kit on your person at all times; and as we tend to be away from the main camp throughout the day time, I want to carry a bit more with me. As the weather warms up having a place to put my phone, notebook and wallet etc seems like a good idea. On my belt I normally carry a knife, folding saw, foraging pouch and small first aid kit, but I want to carry a larger first aid kit with me so I’m going to try using a snugpak response pak. I’ve had one for a few years but not really used it much, so now seems like the perfect opportunity to test it as a larger first aid kit. As it features a wide webbing belt, I’m also going to attach all my normal belt gear to it and see how it works out. This should mean that instead of having to remove items one at a time, I can just take the whole lot off and on in one go. In addition to the smaller trek first aid kit I’m carrying I’ve added additional wound dressings, tourniquet,  blister plasters, burn shield, eyewash and a variety of medicines (pain relief, anti diarrhoea and indigestion tablets as well as further foot care items). I’ve still more room, but I’ll monitor what I use and amend accordingly.
I’m hoping to expand my cooking repertoire during these courses as well so this weekend I’m going to try to forgo the usual ready-made meals and do some proper cooking over the fire using my recently made utensils. Roll on the weekend….

Comments

Popular Posts